Thursday, September 18, 2008

Being a citizen-student!

According to The American Heritage Dictionary, the word citizen is defined as " a person owing loyalty to and entitled by birth or naturalization to the protection of a state or nation." And a student is "one who is enrolled or attends classes at a school, college, or university." Those two words are not related but they can be use to describe most students at NSU including myself. To me being a citizen means more than owing loyalty and being entitled to protection, it means to help out in my community, to obey the laws,to treat others with respect regardless of their economic status , culture, or race.

As a citizen, I believe it is my duty to vote not only because the constitution grant me the privilege but also because i want my opinion to count. We are in charge of who we decide to elect as our next president. If we don't take time to inform ourselves before we vote then when things go wrong later we can only blame ourselves. I have been trying to inform myself as much as possible so i will be able to make a wise choice in deciding who i am voting for the upcoming elections. Which is a very important one because it will be my first time voting and because it will be one that everyone will remember. This upcoming elections will make history because its the first time that we have an African-American male and a white female running for president.

I do not think that i am obligated to join the military because i believe its a person choice.But i do respect and support the soldiers that are representing our country.

3 comments:

Dr. K. said...

I'd be interested in hearing how--in the absence of military service--you see yourself fulfilling your obligation to your country--or ideas for how one might do that. What issues inspire or concern you in the current political debate, and which candidate do you think speaks to those issues best? Exercise your voice!

Jennifer said...

The issues that concern me the most are the leaving condition of minoritiees and the war in Iraq. The candidate that speaks the most on those issues is Sen Obama. In his last presidential debate he explains how he will provide healthcare; which is a good thing since most people cannot afford health insurance. He also said that he will increase the mininum wage to 9.50. Lastly, unlike Mc Cain he will not extend the war.- i think that this war is just a waste of money because we don't have a reason to fight Iraq. All that money we wasting on the wr could b use to help our economy.- I believe we all want better jobs and healthcare and that's what Senator Obama has planned for us.

Dr. K. said...

I assume you mean the living condition, but I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly. Do you mean the underprivileged and struggling, working poor? I quite agree that they are especially hard-hit by the current fiscal crisis. Also, McCain also proposes a health care plan. Why do yout hink Obama's is better than his for the coutnry? You cna check out the NPR website as they have been keeping a record of the issues as viewed by both candidates. You may find that helpful

I, too, think the Iraq war is a quagmire, and we relly need to look at ways of bringing hte troops home and investing our money in our own country's infrastructure.