Monday, November 10, 2008

All because of love!

As Dr. Waites said it in class, we all know what happened in the movie, Return to Paradise, so there is no need for me to summarize it. However, the character that stands out to me is Sheriff. In the movie, Sheriff is self centered, irresponsible and doesn’t show any emotion. But all that changed after he met Beth. Because of the outcome of their meeting, Sheriff became a whole new different person. He was able to mature and grow in a way that was very surprising to me as I watched the movie.
Sheriff became mature and responsible. He wasn’t thinking about himself anymore. He was aware of Louis situation and admits that he was responsible for what happened to him, for example when he admits in front of the judge that he didn’t want to live a careless life anymore. He also became attached to Beth; which was unexpected from him because he only used to care about himself and never cared about the women he dealt with.
All of this helps me realize how important my mom is in my life-thank to her im able to love and care for other- Or should I say how important a women figure is in one’s life no matter how old they may be. In the movie, they show Sheriff’s dad but they never said anything about his mom. I think that’s the reason why he was self centered with no emotion. If he had his mother around he would known how to love and care for others but he didn’t. By being with Beth, he learned how to care for others and love and that’s what helped him become mature in the movie.
Another thing that I learned from this movie is that you have to be careful of whatever you do. Especially being a college student, you might do something today and don’t think it will affect you but it will come back sooner or later. For example when Sheriff crashes the bike he didnt think that the owner would come and look for the bike but he did. Even though he moves to NY, he still had to go back and take responsibility for what he did.

2 comments:

Dr. K. said...

I agree, jennifer. If we were more aware of how our choices and actions in the present might impact us i the future, perhaps we would be much more mindful human beings. Weighing consequences requires maturity--one of the most difficult lessons of adulthood.
I enjoyed your insights.

Dr. K. said...

I agree, Jennifer, and I found your comments to be very insightfuul. If we were more thoughtful about how our actions and choices in the present might affect our life in the future, we would take them much more seriously. I guess it's all about maturity--right?